Sunday 4 August 2013

How's your day? Blog 113, the Penultimate

How’s your day? Blog 113, the Penultimate

© Peter A Taylor Monday 5th September

 

It is a perfect sunny warm winter’s day in Auckland with my doors and windows open to the fresh air. Yesterday we returned home from an overnight stay at Miranda Hot Springs, about 1 hour drives south east of Auckland. I needed a good soak after a tough 3 days of treatment.

 

Sadly due to my decaying body, it will be the last trip as I ran out of oomph. In fact I have made some decisions. The recent time in hospital with the ear scrap and the liver infarct was enough to put a big NO to any further invasive action. No operations, no cuts and no pain, as I can’t do it anymore. I have a big commitment I am hanging around for.

 

The Cartier Bereavement Trust, which raises funds to bury HIV patients’ who have been abandoned by their families, will hold a fund raising dinner on August 31. I am the subject for ‘This is your life’, so of format. Once this commitment is met I can let go of this very tired and painful body.

 

But there was another reason to help my choice. You, my readers were so very generous with your in pouring of tributes after my last blog. For the first time I was overwhelmed by the numbers of people I have touched and made a difference. I have changed the status quo. I was also waiting for my final book to be published. Once all these were achieved it was clear there was nothing left for me to do on this earth.

 

On the day after my dinner engagement I will cease all medications and treatments and let nature take its course. The Doctors assume it will take about 5 to 10 days and whoopee I’m out of here.

 

You probably have not met someone so excited about parting from this world. Being wrapped in love, without fear, happy and excited about my new adventure leaves me in no doubt as to I am ready. So much to do for this trip and no packing.

 

While at the hospital the other day and in line for a coffee, I met a vague acquaintance.

              ‘How are you Pete?’

              ‘I’m off in about 6 weeks,’ I said

              ‘Where too?’ he asked

              ‘Where it is always sunny.’

              ‘Oh, you’re off to the tropics. Well have a great time.’ Then he spun on his heel with a fresh coffee as happy as jam on a sandwich.

I smiled to know that was far nicer than saying I’m dying. I guess it is how you look at it all.

 

So now about my last and latest book.

‘Past My Expiry Date ‘

Is an exploration of how or why I am the only person who lived with this illness. I speak of my conditioning as a child to be prepared for uncertainties and to toughen up. I also tell of the lessons I learnt on the way through this extraordinary struggle. I leave you with a huge amount of inspiration, tools that may help, a mindset that has lasted all my life and in usual Peter Taylor terms I did it all my way. Don’t sing the song. This book is strong, powerful and reflects the growth of self awareness. A small book designed as an E Book I have also published in paperback for those without the technology and like the tactility of a book as they read in bed with a cup of hot chocolate.

 

Your part if I’m bold enough to ask is to share it on your face book, write a testimonial or recommendation for Amazon .com and see how many people I can further touch. So many of us expect someone else to click the like button or to re-tweet. But no one usually does. This time I’d really appreciate it.

 

Below are the links to my books. I thank you in advance and one more blog will be written to say goodbye.

Link to Kindle http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E8AHB28

Link to Paperback https://www.createspace.com/4383315

 

11 comments:

  1. Love to you Peter....i remember sharing an outpatient room on 9C shortly after you began your treatments. We have been fortunate to have lived through this. It is an honor to have shared a little of your life.
    best wishes
    ray taylor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peter,

    You are so brave. I am a young playwright and I would love to get in touch with you and/or your partner to tell your story and inspire more people through theatre. Here's a review of my last play to get a feel for what I'm all about http://www.theatreview.org.nz/reviews/review.php?id=5525

    If you're interested (and I know your time is very precious now!) flick me an email. I think I could make something really beautiful. freyadesmarais@gmail.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bon voyage Uncle Peter. I was so sad to read this, a bright and beautiful soul leaving our presence, but I am so proud to have called you family and so happy to see you at peace as you face eternity. Bless you on your journey home. A fondest farewell and much love, Tam (Cooney) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heard your interview on National Radio with Kathryn this morning Peter. I could clearly hear the exhaustion. I've heard it before. When my beloved Anna bade us goodbye after seven years of quadriplegia. Not an acceptable state of affairs for a singer, dancer, actress, mother and lover.
    In her last days Anna spent many hours listening to music including whale song. We were and are a non religious family but we have always found comfort in the bounteous beauty of life, love, nature, art and imagination but above all truth and dignity. May your embarkation be true and dignified.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny; we go through life and people become part of the general fabric without being able to recall names and faces - but yours have stayed with me since days riding in Albany. I recall your talent and your commitment, and shared your pride when you achieved the heights you set. I was so sorry when you became ill and it wasn't until I heard your voice on RadioNZ this morning that I wondered if this was the Peter Taylor I 'knew'. I have ordered your book and will treasure it. You were, and are, an inspiration. An angel - whether you like it or not - amongst us. You have made a difference which will endure. Clare

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peter, I am so happy to have come upon your blog through a FB post from a friend. I will follow it and feel I have much to learn from you on living life with a sense of humor, despite it all. Giving love, connection, and joy center stage, rather than fear. Thank you for sharing yourself with us!

    I work as a hospice nurse practitioner in the USA. I learn everyday from the people I visit, their presence, the clarity, the letting go of the trifles that should be let go of, the real-ness, and often the joy. Wishing you continued joy and peace during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Peter! I'm from/in Romania and I'm just happy that I found your story now and not in October. I've listened to your radio interview and I believe that Freya's idea about a teathre play is excellent. Not only spectators will love it but an actor will be happy and challenged to be Peter Taylor.I wish I culd be there on the 31 of August

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peter, you may not remember me but my name is Possum Richards and I evented with you many years ago in Aust. In fact, I was to take over your beautiful chestnut horse when you set off on your journey to Canada. Fate intervened & I never got to work with that beautiful horse but you did get to set off on an amazing journey! And what a journey! It's funny, I was only wondering about you last week. My curiosity was satisfied by coincidence when I came across an article via twitter only a few minutes ago...

    I am saddened to hear of your illness but really not surprised at the way you are tackling all of life's battles. You amazed me many years ago how brave you were to trek all the way to the other side of the world to a new life and I see you still have that same attitude. I admired you then & more so now. Good luck on the rest of your journey. I feel so lucky to have met you & shared in your zest for life. God bless & keep smiling..

    Poss xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Peter, I have bought your book and shared your link on my facebook page. I will just be another post for you to read, but if you do get to read this, I would like you to know that you have opened by eyes wider and made a difference in my life. This of course will trickle down through my close friends and my grown daughters. I know you will have a lot of sad people when you pass but I will rejoice for you. I have nursed and watched two people very close to me die and its not pretty. So, I get you totally, when you say you have had enough. Mostly we stay here for the living, whom we love dearly. Thank you for sharing your struggle and joys. Many have benefited from you selflessness. So from one stranger to one exceptional man. Thank you. (Its all I have to give you) XXX Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Peter. Thank you for your inspiration. I loved meeting you back in 05 at that writing course with Joan Rosier Jones. You won't remember, and I don't expect you too. I enjoyed your sense of humour, and your book. Throughout the years since, your story has been shared with lots of people I met. I look forward to getting a copy of your latest book and sharing it also.

    Bless you, enjoy your next journey, and I look forward to connecting with you sometime, somewhere in that place where the sun is always shining.
    Stephanie Hammond.

    ReplyDelete
  11. family caregiving alliance
    - TheCaregiverSpace.org is a free social network that allows caregivers to share their experiences, find critical resources, cope with stress and effectively combat the isolation and exhaustion of providing care for someone they love.

    ReplyDelete